The very popular lovable Sophie The Giraffe is a baby’s first sensory development toy which stimulates each of baby’s 5 senses from the age of 3 months! Made from 100% natural rubber derived from the sap of the Hevea tree. Natural rubber is soft, safe & non-toxic for baby to teethe & chew. Lightweight & easy to grasp for tiny hands. Painted with non-toxic, food-grade paints. Stimulating to baby’s senses with her soft colors & gentle squeak. Bumpy head helps soothe sore, teething gums.
Sophie The Giraffe and the 5 senses….
- Sight: At the age of 3 months, a baby’s eyesight is still limited and he can only make out high contrasts. The dark and contrasting spots all over Sophie’s body provide visual stimulation and make her easily recognizable to baby. She soon becomes a familiar and reassuring object.
- Hearing: Sophie’s squeaker keeps baby amused and stimulates their hearing. To begin with, the funny sound Sophie makes when she is squeezed helps to stimulate baby’s hearing, and then later, helps them to understand the link between cause and effect.
- Taste: Sophie the giraffe is made of 100% natural rubber and food paint, and is completely safe to chew, just like a feeding bottle teat. Her soft texture and numerous chewable parts (ears, horns, legs), make her perfect for soothing baby’s sore gums during teething.
- Touch: Sophie is perfect for baby’s small hands. She is very light and her long legs and neck are easy for baby to grip. She is very soft to touch, just like baby’s mummy, stimulating soothing physiological and emotional responses.
- Smell: The singular scent of natural rubber from the Hevea tree makes Sophie very special and easy for your child to identify amid all his other toys
Features of Sophie The Giraffe:
- Made from 100% natural rubber derived from the latex of the Hevea tree.
- Suitable from 0 months +
- 17cm size, perfect for baby’s small hands.
- Painted with natural food paint
- BPA and phthalates free
- No Vinyl (no-PVC!)
- Comes in a gift box
Regular cleaning of your infants toys, particularly any teething toys, is important to help prevent spread of germs. When it comes to cleaning your Sophie, the best option is to wipe her down with a soapy cloth and avoid completely submerging Sophie in water, putting her in the dishwasher or in a sterilizer. Water will get inside Sophie through the hole in place for her squeaker, often stopping the squeaker from working. A regular and thorough wipe with a warm soapy cloth is all that is needed to keep the teether clean.
The history of Sophie
The simple story of a giraffe born on May 25th in the year 1961, Saint Sophie’s day. In those days, the only animal toys available were farm animals and pet figures …
That is why one day in France, a certain Monsieur RAMPEAU, who was an expert in transforming the latex from the HEVEA tree using the rotational moulding of rubber as a toy-making concept, came up with the idea of designing a giraffe. Such an exotic wildlife figure would be a first on the market, and its size and shape would be ideal for a baby’s small hand to grasp.
Sophie the giraffe, who looked exactly the same as she does today, went into production on a Thursday, May 25th, hence her name. She was an immediate success. Young parents immediately recognized that she was a must for their baby… When the first signs of teething appear, Sophie the giraffe helps babies stop crying!
VULLI, a company based in Rumilly in the Haute-Savoie region of France has continued to keep the highly guarded secret of how this wonder toy is made. To this day, Sophie the giraffe is still “traditionally” produced, a process that involves more than 14 manual operations.
The Baby Toy of Celebrities
- Find out who trusted Sophie The Giraffe’s qualities upon the arrival of their baby here.